In this satay, Thai peanut sauce is used both as a grilling sauce for chicken and as the base for a salad dressing that is tossed with baby greens, cucumber, scallions, and red peppers. The chicken strips are marinated and grilled on skewers and then served on top of the salad.
Prep: 10 minutes
(plus 5 minutes for sauce)
Soaking the skewers: 30 minutes
Grill: 6 minutes.
BBQ TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT
– 12 long bamboo skewers
– Clean grill screen
– 12 small pieces aluminum foil
– Long-handled tongs or grill mitts
– Long-handled basting brush.
– This recipe can also be made with shrimp or pork..
– Garnish the salad with toasted shredded coconut or chopped roasted peanuts.
Gas: Direct heat, medium-high (425° to 450°F)
Clean, oiled grate
Direct heat, light ash
12-by-12-inch charcoal bed (about 3 dozen coals)
Clean, oiled grate on lowest setting
Direct heat, light ash
12-by-12-inch bed, 3 to 4 inches deep
Clean, oiled grate set 2 inches above the fire.
INGREDIENTS (MAKES 4 SERVINGS)
1 cup Thai Coconut Peanut Sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
8 cups field greens or baby lettuce mix
½ small cucumber, cut into thin strips
2 scallions, roots trimmed, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, stem and seeds removed, cut into thin strips
Oil for coating the grill screen
1. Put the bamboo skewers in a roasting pan and add enough water to cover; soak for at least 30 minutes. Heat the grill as directed. Put the grill screen on the grill.
2. Combine the peanut sauce, vinegar, and lime juice in a small bowl. Cut the chicken into ¼-inch-thick slices (about 24 slices). Toss with ¼ cup of the sauce in another bowl; set aside.
3. Wash your hands well and toss the greens, cucumber, scallions, and red pepper in a large bowl.
4. Arrange 2 chicken slices on each skewer, threading the skewer through the length of each slice 2 to 3 times to secure it as flat as possible. Wrap a piece of foil around the exposed end of each skewer. Discard any sauce that has come into contact with the chicken.
5. Coat the grill screen with oil. Put the prepared skewers on the screen and grill, covered, until the chicken pieces are browned and firm, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
6. Toss 1/3 cup of the remaining sauce with the salad and divide among 4 plates. Put 3 skewers on each plate and top with a small amount of the sauce. Serve the remaining sauce on the side for dipping.