The sweet, nutty, fragrant mixture of pistachios, garlic, lemon, and herbs runs through the heart of this pork loin. Try to buy roasted shelled pistachios. If you can’t find them, you will have to shell about 30 nuts to make 1/3 cup. The easiest way to toast them is in a microwave. Put the nuts on a plate and cook them at full power for 2 minutes. Stir and cook in 30-second intervals until they smell toasted.
Prep: 20 minutes (plus 5 minutes for rub)
Grill: About 1 hour.
BBQ TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT
– Long-handled tongs.
Indirect heat, medium-high (350° to 375°F)
3- or 4-burner grill – middle burner(s) off
2-burner grill – 1 side off
Clean, oiled grate
Indirect heat, medium ash
Split charcoal bed (about 2 dozen coals per side)
20 replacement coals
Heavy-duty drip pan set between banks of charcoal
Clean, oiled grate on medium setting.
INGREDIENTS (MAKES 4 SERVINGS)
1/3 cup shelled roasted pistachio nuts, coarsely chopped
3 tablespoons golden raisins, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 center-cut pork loin, about 2 pounds, 7½ inches long and 2½ inches in diameter
3 tablespoons Tuscan Rosemary Rub
Oil for coating grill grate.
1. Combine the pistachio nuts, raisins, garlic, lemon zest, parsley, salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a bowl.
2. Heat the grill as directed.
3. Insert a long, thin-bladed knife into the center of one end of the roast until the tip comes out the other end. Enlarge the hole so that it is about 1 inch wide all the way through the roast. Stuff the hole with the pistachio mixture. Rub the outside with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and the herb rub.
4. Brush the grill grate and coat it with oil. Put the roast on the grill away from the heat, cover the grill, and cook until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the meat registers about 155°F, about 1 hour, turning it once halfway through. If your grill has a temperature gauge, it should stay between 350° and 375°F.
5. Remove to a large serving platter; drizzle with the lemon juice. Let rest for 8 to 10 minutes; slice and serve.