Sometimes all it takes to reinvent the very nature of a dish is a subtle shift, a change of ingredient, a slimmer slice, a different cooking method. In this recipe a classic gazpacho takes on a new personality. Grilling the vegetables for the soup deepens the flavors and heightens the spices, turning what was once a kind of liquid salad into a main attraction. Serve it as a substantial first course, a light meal, or a summer entree by adding grilled shrimp, chicken, or sausage.
Prep: 10 minutes
Grill: 10 minutes.
BBQ TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT
– Grill screen
– Long-handled spatula.
– Make golden gazpacho by using yellow tomatoes and yellow peppers in place of red.
– Vary the spiciness with the kind of hot sauce you use.
– Deepen the color and flavor of the gazpacho by using black bread in place of the white bread to thicken it.
– To get the gazpacho chilled faster, use ice cubes in place of water. As soon as they melt, the soup will be cold enough to serve.
Gas: Direct heat, medium-high (400° to 450°F)
Clean, oiled grate
Direct heat, light ash
12-by-12-inch charcoal bed (about 3 dozen coals)
Clean, oiled grate on lowest setting
Direct heat, light ash
12-by-12-inch bed, 3 to 4 inches deep
Clean, oiled grate set 2 inches above the fire.
INGREDIENTS (MAKES 6 SERVINGS)
Oil for coating grill screen
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
1 orange bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
1 large onion, peeled and cut into wedges
3 large tomatoes, thickly sliced
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
½ teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more to taste
2 large cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
2 slices firm white bread, crusts removed, finely crumbled
1½ cups vegetable broth
1½ cups water
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
¼ cup red wine vinegar
¼ cup capers.
1. Heat the grill as directed. Put the grill screen on the grill and coat it with oil.
2. Toss the bell peppers, onion, and tomatoes in a large bowl with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and the salt and pepper. Place on the grill screen and grill until browned and tender, about 5 minutes per side. Watch carefully: Different vegetables cook at different rates. Turn as needed.
3. Combine the cucumbers, bread, broth, water, hot pepper sauce, vinegar, capers, and remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large serving bowl. Finely chop the grilled vegetables and add to the bowl. Adjust the salt and pepper to taste and chill thoroughly before serving.