There are two basic methods for grilling artichokes. You can precook them in liquid and finish them on the grill, which gives you a good roasted surface and tender, meaty leaves but a watery, steamed flavor. Or you can cook them completely over a flame, which concentrates their flavor but leaves the leaves slightly tougher. This recipe uses the latter method. The artichokes will keep warm in their foil wrappers for up to 30 minutes after being removed from the grill.
Prep: 15 minutes
Grill: About 45 minutes.
BBQ TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT
– 4 squares heavy-duty aluminum foil
– Long-handled spatula or long-handled tongs.
Indirect heat, medium-high (350° to 400°F)
3- or 4-burner grill-middle burner(s) off
2-burner grill – 1 side off
Clean, oiled grate
Indirect heat, light ash
Split charcoal bed (about 2 dozen coals per side)
20 replacement coals
Heavy-duty drip pan set between banks of charcoal
Clean, oiled grate on medium setting.
INGREDIENTS (MAKES 4 SERVINGS)
4 globe artichokes
¼ cup minced garlic
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper.
1. Trim the artichokes with a thin-bladed stainless-steel knife; cut the stems flat to the bottoms and cut the thorny tips from the leaves by slicing off the top inch from the tapered end. Snip off the remaining tips with scissors.
2. Squeeze the juice from one of the lemons into a large bowl. Add the artichokes and turn to coat the cut surfaces with lemon. Add enough cold water to cover and put a plate on top to weigh down the artichokes so that they remain submerged; set aside for 10 minutes.
3. Remove the artichokes from the lemon water. Put a tea-spoon of garlic in the center of each square of foil; top with an artichoke and spread the leaves gently. Work 2 teaspoons of garlic between the leaves of each artichoke. Drizzle 1 table-spoon oil over each artichoke and season them liberally with salt and pepper. Wrap each artichoke tightly in the foil.
4. Put the artichokes over the unheated part of the grill. Cover and cook for 45 minutes; let rest for 5 minutes. Remove the foil, and squeeze the juice of the remaining lemon over the artichokes; serve.